Writing a research paper is something no college or university student can escape. At least, you are required to write one every semester. However, the writing process can be cumbersome, not to talk of coming by a topic. Selecting a subject for your research project is as important as its writing. If you miss out on that, you’re doomed to fail. On a few occasions, your professor may assign you a particular topic to research; however, the norm is that you come up with your own topic. In this piece, we will discuss how to choose a topic and add some examples.
How to select a research topic?
When selecting a subject, it is advisable to pick something, which is not overly exhausted or random. Your topic should be captivating and able to provoke further debate. As such, you should choose something which:
- You are interested in
A research paper takes a long time to complete; hence, you should always pick a topic that interests you. It is undeniable that you come out with an exciting and thought-provoking paper when you work on a topic in your field of interest. That aside, you are able to commit yourself to it and explore the topic deeply, without being bored.
- Should be clear
The topic you are choosing should be clear and well defined as to which aspect you are tackling. Knowing this helps you to execute the work efficiently and on time. If you have troubles, ask your supervisor for help to prevent you from getting stuck in the middle of your writing.
Research Paper Topic Ideas
Argumentative Research Paper Topics
- Is shorter working days achievable?
- Can an athlete be a good role model?
- At what age can one legally consume alcohol?
- Who is to blame for the rising homelessness?
Persuasive Research Paper Topics
- Why it is wrong to use animals in scientific research
- Parents need to monitor their children’s online activities
- American should stay away from external conflicts
- The rise in gender-based domestic violence
Controversial Topics for Research Paper
- Should gay partners be allowed to adopt children?
- Making STEM subjects compulsory for all
- Addressing violence in media contents
- Including sex education in school’s curricular
Research Paper Topics
- Does the current college education system correspond to the job market needs?
- Should disabled students have access to special accommodation arrangements?
- Addressing child labor at the workplace
- How terrorism can affect the fortune of businesses
- Role of feminism in contemporary society
- Are universities deviating from their core mandate?
High School Research Topics
- Should the use of smartphones in schools be legalized?
- Training students for leadership positions
- Exploring Plato’s mathematics philosophy
College Research Paper Topics
- Effects of menstruation on the girl child
- How substance abuse affects the performance of college students
- Causes of societal stereotype
- The proof that AIDS is from monkeys
Topics on Technology
- How technology can help in preventing terrorism
- How cloud technologies managed to change data storing
- How Bill Gates and Steve Jobs helped change the world
Topics on Environment
- How the climate has changed in the last three decades
- Is Global warming a hoax?
- How do human activities influence global warming?
- Managing pollution
- How can we help prevent the extinction of endangered species?